The efforts and contributions of Dr. Rania Al-Mashat in strengthening international cooperation and advancing sustainable development – Dr Rania Al-Mashat represents the new leader of the Egyptian economy sets an ambitious plan to stimulate investment, increase growth and achieve sustainable development , she is a woman with big dreams and discipline, determination and expertise to make them happen. As Egypt’s first female Minister of Tourism and now Egypt’s Minister of International Cooperation, she is a pioneer in the region and a true role model for today’s generation Since assuming the portfolio of the Ministry of International Cooperation, Dr Rania Al-Mashat has inaugurated a practical and global scientific framework for international cooperation and development financing and axes for economic diplomacy, based on global frameworks and methodologies of the United Nations and the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development OECD to enhance the effectiveness of international cooperation in stimulating development efforts, through mechanisms characterized by its viability. To apply in a way that enhances development cooperation relations between Egypt and multilateral and bilateral development partners, and supports the achievement of the national development vision and its consistency with the UN goals for sustainable development 2030.
Dr Al-Mashat contributed to launching innovative practical initiatives to mobilize funding and international support for climate issues and green transformation at the international and national levels, during Egypt’s hosting of the United Nations Climate Conference COP27, led by the launch of the national platform for the Novi Program and the Sharm El-Sheikh Guide to Fair Financing.
The “Novi Program” is the national platform for green projects, under the umbrella of the National Strategy for Climate Change, which promotes investment in human capital by advancing green transformation in the fields of water, food and energy, through the implementation of 26 projects to achieve sustainable economic growth, increase the percentage of renewable energy and support small businesses. Farmers and agricultural lands threatened by climate change, improving mitigation and adaptation practices, and promoting sustainable management of water resources
Novi Program Projects
Projects in these sectors to promote environmentally friendly projects within the National Strategy for Climate Change 2050, and to promote Egypt’s Vision 2030, through active participation in financing the list of projects, by development partners, international financing institutions, multilateral development banks, as well as the private sector.
Novi program won the first place at the level of the countries of the North African region and the continent of Europe, in the Climate Investment Fund (CIF) initiative on nature and climate investments.
Novi program themes
- Financing and investing in climate projects;
- Promote the list of green development projects in the water, food and energy sectors;
- Promote green transition and food security;
- Advancing various areas of sustainable development.
During the climate conference, it was able to raise investments amounting to 14.7 billion dollars in 9 projects related to water, energy and food security. And another Agreements were signed on the transport sector, housing sector, food security and the environment, worth 2.7 billion dollars, and projects aimed at climate protection. The vision of the ministry of International Cooperation Is to strengthen Egypt’s inclusive multilateral engagement with development partners, governments, global policy makers, private sector and the civil society to effectively deliver the 2030 National Agenda, consistent with the UN Sustainable Development Goals, aimed at achieving a circular economy.
It is worth noting that the Ministry of International Cooperation is working with the Office of the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Egypt to enhance preparations for the launch of the Strategic Framework for Partnership for Sustainable Development (UNSDCF) between the Arab Republic of Egypt and the United Nations for the period 2023-2027, in addition to the preparatory procedures related to the Joint Steering Committee and groups technical results.
The strategic framework of the Partnership for Sustainable Development sets 5 priorities to achieve them by the end of 2027, which are enhancing human capital through equal access to distinguished services, social protection and social justice that guarantees everyone, promoting comprehensive sustainable economic development driven by productivity growth, and decent job opportunities, integrating the informal economy, enhancing resilience to climate change and efficient management of natural resources in a sustainable environment, achieving comprehensive justice in safe and fair access to information, in accordance with a governance framework that is transparent, responsible, efficient, effective and participatory, comprehensive empowerment of women and girls politically, socially and economically.
Dr. Rania Al-Mashat’s Achievements in International Cooperation: Expanding Horizons and Strengthening Partnerships for Sustainable Development
During the meetings, Dr Al-Mashat always stressed the importance of joint work with IFC, and the need for its sustainability in order to move forward in opening the horizons of private sector participation in various
fields and expanding financing mechanisms and investments for companies of all kinds in Egypt, in addition to financing small and medium enterprises and efforts to empower women economically and socially. The achievements of Dr. Rania Al-Mashat reflects a strong and new vision to achieve sustainable development in Egypt, and emphasizes the role of women in leading the process of change and transformation towards a better future.
Under the leadership of Rania El-Mashat, Minister of international cooperation, Egypt has achieved many achievements in the field of international cooperation, among which are:
- Expanding the scope of international cooperation: the scope of Egypt’s international cooperation with a number of countries and international institutions has been expanded through the signing of cooperation agreements in various fields, such as trade, health and agriculture.
- Attracting more investments: Rania El Mashat succeeded in attracting more investments to Egypt, where major projects witnessed great momentum during her tenure and consolidating relations on a global level to enhance progress towards development while also meeting Egypt’s own national objectives.
- Egypt’s role in Africa: Egypt has an important role in advancing the development of Africa, as it has launched several initiatives to improve the development situation in African countries.
- Strengthening relations with Arab countries: Dr Rania El-Mashat succeeded in strengthening relations between Egypt and the Arab countries by signing cooperation agreements in various fields, such as trade, health and development.
- Egypt’s role in international organizations: Dr Rania El-Mashat succeeded in enhancing Egypt’s role in international organizations, as Egypt held the post of chair of the committee on trade and development at the World Trade Organization, and also held the post of chair of the committee on Sustainable Development at the United Nations.
- The Ministry supports startups via Egypt Ventures and through cooperation with development partners. The aim is to cultivate resilient entrepreneurs ready to compete globally, lead GDP growth, and increase economic competitiveness. Egypt Ventures is an investment firm seeded by the Ministry and GAFI, with a mandate of supporting and investing in startups from a diverse range of sectors across Egypt.
- The launch of Egypt’s version of the “Generation Unlimited” (Shabab Balad) Initiative at the World Youth Forum, done by the United Nations to empower youth in education, employment, entrepreneurship, and engagement in a public-private-youth partnership and selection of Dr Rania Al-Mashat, Minister of International Cooperation, as part of the Global Council of Leaders of the Initiative, which includes many decision-makers and economic leaders in the world through in order to support Efforts made through the initiative to empower youth and mobilize resources for the widest implementation of the initiative;
- Advancing international cooperation in 2022, and development financing, all in line with achieving Egypt’s national objectives and ensuring their consistency with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Launching innovative and practical initiatives to mobilize necessary financing and international support on climate issues and the green transformation on a global and local level at COP27, held in Sharm El-Sheikh. This was done especially through the launch of the Sharm El-Sheikh Guidebook for Just Financing and Egypt’s Country Platform for the Nexus of Water, Food and Energy NWFE Program.
The achievements of Dr Rania Al-Mashat reflects a strong and new vision to achieve sustainable development in Egypt, works on the compatibility between economic development and environmental conservation, and this is a strong sustainable vision for the Egyptian economy. and emphasizes the role of women in leading the process of change and transformation towards a better future.
The efforts and contributions of Dr. Rania Al-Mashat in strengthening international cooperation and advancing sustainable development